Total number of beds: 13
Number of seats - dining area: 25
Bookings: Prior booking is preferred.
The trail to the home of the cave bear and the ice age hunters
At the Rogar farm, Lintver reminds the boy that every shepherd needs a flute to call upon his sheep, and explains that already his forefathers, much older than Krištof’s father, would already use such instruments. If the boy did not believe Lintver, the dragon said, then he should head to the Potok Cave, the place where his ancestors lived, leaving behind the world’s oldest sewing needle. But first, the dragon continued, Krištof should fill his belly with the home-made jam and bread at the Rogar farm to gain strength for the journey.
On the Rogar farm
The Rogar tourist farm is located at the foot of Olševa (1,250 m) and is the highest tourist farm providing accommodation to visitors in Slovenia. Nestled amidst forests and pastures, in sunny weather the Rogar farm offers beautiful vistas of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps, particularly Mt. Raduha and Mt. Olševa. The area is truly wondrous as it is located within the Natura 2000 conservation area, characterised by wild animals and indigenous plants, nowadays considered rare or even endangered. Past the farm runs the bear trail leading to the Potočka zijavka cave archaeological site, providing a glimpse into the era of the cave bear and the Cro-Magnon and the early man’s way of life.
What to eat
- Cured meat products, lamb, cottage cheese štrukelj, and particularly blueberry strudel.
- Reccommended: home-made award-winning jam and elderberry syrup.
- Buy tasty dairy and bakery products at the nearby Plodrov farm.
What to see
- The pond in the marshes beneath the farm – once, the water was used to drive the mill. Nearby is a resting spot offering spectacular views, from the loungers, of the peaks of Mt. Olševa, Mt. Raduha and the Kamnik–Savinja Alps massif.
- In front of the Potok Cave across the border with Austria at Mt. Olševa is the Lipševa vrata natural arch.
What to do
- 45 minutes from the Potočka zijavka museum at Guest house and museum Firšt and the beginning of the Bear trail.
- Only a 10 minutes’ walk from the farm is the Church of the Holy Spirit, and approx. 4 kilometres to the mineral water source.
- Along the trail to Mt. Olševa, be sure to pay a visit to the Lipševa vrata natural arch, and the Obel kamen peak of Mt. Olševa known as Govca.
- At the neighbouring farm Ploder you can buy tasty dairy and bakery products, tel.: +386 (0)70 890 821.